Title: Director of Technical Operations
Location: Boston, MA
Oceanworks® is the global marketplace for recycled ocean plastic materials and products. Our mission is to accelerate the market for recycled ocean plastic. We aim to support the circular economy by intercepting plastic waste before it enters the environment and providing material options that reduce the use of new materials. Join us! Let’s design a world without plastic pollution. Learn more at: www.oceanworks.co.
Job Overview: Full Time
Fast-paced and growing B2B services company seeking qualified, driven, and energetic candidates to join the team as a Director of Technical Operations. The company is actively engaged in the removal and repurposing of discarded ocean plastic pollution through an online marketplace with plastic resins and components sourced from around the globe. We need a candidate with hustle, scrappiness, and the desire to build reliable systems.
The Director of Technical Operations will report directly to the CEO and will be responsible for managing and expanding our technology infrastructure. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working with all internal team members to ensure that our internal and customer-facing systems meet ever-changing needs. Major projects will include developing databases and web-based applications for customers involved in the recycled plastic supply chain. Candidates should be comfortable spending some time writing code and also managing systems integrations, database administration, and setting up automation.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage internal database in Airtable and associated data relationships, automation, and scripts
- Build new and manage existing custom customer-facing applications in Node and Next.js (React)
- Manage and improve systems integrations between different platforms such as Shopify and Airtable
- Develop processes to manage the flow of accurate information to all relevant stakeholders
- Manage and monitor financial systems integrations with core company database for reporting
- Build out changes to our customer-facing website which is currently hosted with Shopify
- Collaborate with Technical Product Manager to ensure that the correct information is provided to the company’s Track & Trace systems
Qualifications & Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience
- 3-5 years of professional experience
- Proficiency in front-end website development with languages including HTML, CSS, JS, and React
- Proficiency in basic back-end application development with Node and Express
- Database management experience with SQL or NoSQL or alternatives such as Airtable
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Comfortable working remotely
- Off-hours calls may be required for consultation with partners in Europe and Asia