Title: Director of Polymers
Location: Santa Monica, Los Angeles, CA (San Francisco and Boston-based candidates considered)
Oceanworks® is the global marketplace for recycled ocean plastic materials and products. Our mission is to accelerate the market for recycled ocean plastic. We aim to support the circular economy by intercepting plastic waste before it enters the environment and providing material options that reduce the use of new materials. Join us! Together we can design a world without plastic pollution. Learn more at: www.oceanworks.co.
Fast paced and growing B2B services company is seeking qualified and energetic candidate to join us as Director of Polymers. Role requires an extensive understanding of chemistry with a focus on polymers and the application of such polymers in production and manufacturing environments. Ideal candidate will be self-motivated and comfortable developing and implementing new procedures to reduce risk and improve the breadth and qualify of material offering(s). Individuals with strong critical thinking skills and the ability to operate effectively in a fast-paced, and rapidly evolving business are most likely to thrive in this role.
Resin expert will report to the COO and work closely with the management team on new materials sourcing and development and supplier strategy. In addition, candidate will support Oceanworks sales team to address questions from customers and factories about material performance in production. Ability to communicate clearly and liaise with material suppliers and industry experts is a must.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Create TDS, SDS, and documentation for Marketplace materials (resins, fibers, sheets, etc.)
- Manage 3rd party testing for materials available in the Oceanworks marketplace
- Ensure Oceanworks material database remains updated and accurate information is available to our sales team and customers
- Address questions from customers and factories about material performance issues in production
- Liaise with material suppliers and industry experts as appropriate
- Support material innovation on behalf of our suppliers and customers;
- Build and maintain knowledge base of customizations available from the OW supplier network
- Oversee Oceanworks Marketplace material sourcing strategy
- Masters or Equivalent if the below items are satisfied
- Primary focus on polymer chemistry and engineering
- 5+ years total work experience
- Comfortable in an office and/or telecommuting role
- Able to travel internationally up to 2-weeks / quarter
- Passion for the ocean and environment